Monday, February 18, 2013

Quarter-Life Crisis

Writing this blog is not just about examining what it means to be a young wife, it's also about delving into what it means to be 25. Right now, the cliched quarter-life crisis seems to be plaguing me and many of my 20-something friends. 

Whether it's our romantic relationships, friendships or careers, it's just a really confusing time - almost like a second adolescence. It's a struggle between wanting to maintain our carefree youthfulness, and simultaneously wanting to progress into full-fledged adulthood - which could mean getting married, having kids, finding the right career, or all of the above.

For me, the right career thing rings a bell.

I'm so eager to find the job of my dreams, and since I've already found the man of my dreams I just have more time to obsess over what I truly want out of my career.

Currently, I'm a copywriter/editor in the marketing department of a real estate firm. I've been there for 2.5 years, and am learning a lot and growing personally and professionally. I love the people I work with and for the most part, I really like what I do because I'm writing and editing. But, I'd be lying if I didn't say something's missing.

It's like when you know you've found THE ONE. However contrived it sounds to say this...you just know. And I feel like that may be the case when it comes to finding the right job, the right career path...you just know.

I'm having all sorts of doubts and insecurities, yet there's a part of me that's complacent - not necessarily a good or bad thing. Sometimes I think - I love writing, and this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Other times, I think I want to make a drastic change, like going back to school to be a therapist or an interior designer.

I just always thought that at this point in my life I would know exactly what I want to do...and I really don't. I feel like it would be a shame to waste all of the experience I've acquired as a writer - plus, it's a lot easier to stick with what you know and what you're relatively good at, instead of starting with a clean slate, a blank resume.

I guess it's kind of like staying in a relationship you know isn't quite right because you're too afraid to find out what else is out there...because what if there isn't anything else out there? What if there's nothing better? Nothing more?

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, so I guess there's some comfort in not being all alone in my quarter-life confusion. But it doesn't change the fact that I feel like I'm waiting for that moment when it all becomes clear, and I suddenly know what I want to do and what I'm meant to do.

Until then, I'm going to keep digging deep and asking myself and those who know me best what they think my next step should be. I know I'm young and I don't need to find my destiny right at this moment, but I'd kind of like it to find me. Especially now when it's just me, Brian and Gordon...no kids or huge financial responsibilities weighing us down.

If you have any tips or advice, your feedback is always welcome! Us quarter-lifers need all the guidance we can get.




No comments:

Post a Comment